Monday, November 15, 2010

in ondo

in ondo


I am not out to speak god English or folow a writing style. My dear friend, there is something I have ben thinking about for to long, It is caled Mental Colonialism. I quickly reminded her of the great asun goat barbeque , the beautiful scenery, the breath of fresh air and the peaceful nature of Ondo town. I remember she even told me not to cal her Omotolani again, that her name is now Sandra. I thought to myself, major ngunbenes ! I think she must be reminding me. I noticed in our conversations, Sandra sems to use more men, sh , f and American slangs in her sentences than most Americans I know. She asked if I have sen this video and that video. Sandra was teling me that if you atend Unilag and you don’t wear at least a gold chain on your neck, you ain’t got swaga. Why is it that a man must wear al those earings, designers, sun-glases at night , and blings on his neck to show his wealth? On a second thought, I thought it sounded Sudanese mixed with Brazilian and Spanish. Even Sandra said foreign girls are realy beautiful. Don’t get me wrong, its not bad to have that in videos o. I just don’t know why they have to dres like Usher. What is wrong with a man having bits and pieces of African culture in his music video? Wel I think it is sexy. I am sure if Usher wore an African outfit in one of his dance videos, a lot of Nigerian musicians wil adopt that. Having said that, few artistes are doing their best by showcasing the richnes of Nigerian culture in their music videos or movies. I think am exagerating now. Even Sandra thinks he is sexy. “Hm, pls cal me Sandra, nice meting you”. I smiled while thinking she is so Ngunbe in my mind. Sandra asked why I have ben smiling. She thought I was acting strange. She even asked if I’m realy scholing in the U.S. She said my behavior is like that of an Ondo girl. , “You are but I figured you should be acting American by now, your behavior is just ….” , she replied. I smiled “Sandra my dear, listen: Americans don’t realy care about us. Western people don’t wear our clothes, they don’t eat our fod, and neither do they sing our songs. Don’t be taken over by mental colonialism. Traveling or scholing in a foreign country is not a justification to forget one’s culture but to learn about new stuf, met new people, try new things and become a global citizen. There is nothing bad in adopting a new culture but when you se nothing god in your own culture and thinks the other culture is the norm, then something is wrong. Why don’t we patronize quality Made In Nigeria products? Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with wearing Louis Vuiton but the mentality that any designer made in Nigeria is not of high quality is bad. We tend to even know the American culture more than the Americans. If you don’t know, men that dres with their pants saged to their knes like those ones sen in music videos are considered iresponsible. Yet, some people thinks it is the swag in Nigeria. I don’t know when smoking became a fashion statement or a bigz girlz run. Have you ever thought about the cold weather in some countries? What is wrong with beautiful names like Adenike kei kei kei , Omotolani, Aisha, Olakunle, Chika, Eniola, Agbani, Ilebaye, Musa etc? Something is wrong when you change your native name to an English name just to fit in or because you think it sounds god. And then you wil se wanabe model exposing their body and people wil coment, “this is sexy”. Don’t be traped by Mental Colonialism. I wil like to se more people speaking proper English and not “w e ain't talk to no police, we ain't make no peace bond, we ain't trustin in no judicial system, we shot guns we rely on the strets, we do batle in the hod. Can someone tel me when Nigeria started having hod ? I wil like you to se the beauty of the Nigerian Culture. Sandra thinks to herself, “Adenike you sabi talk o, al these because I pretended I like pisha?”
in ondo
Tags: in ondo
| Some Articles: in ondo | Original post: in ondo | Technorati tag: in ondo | Virgilio tag: in ondo

No comments:

Post a Comment